As a parent, there are few things more exciting than baby’s first Halloween.
Honestly, who doesn’t want to dress their little one in that awesome cupcake outfit from Pottery Barn or that ladybug costume or Yoda outfit?
If you’re a planner, your baby’s first Halloween can easily go from sweet to stressful. We can spend hours pouring over costumes, snacks, and activities to give our babies the best Halloween imaginable. Before we know it we’re so consumed with the idea of the perfect Halloween we forget to enjoy the moment with our little ones.
Don’t want this to happen to you? Look below for some of our best baby’s first Halloween tips and tricks for a Halloween that both you and your baby can enjoy.
Table of Contents
- Gift Ideas for Baby’s First Halloween
- Baby’s first Halloween treats
- What to do for baby’s first Halloween?
- Baby’s first Halloween basket
- Baby’s First Halloween Costume
- Our 5 Favorite Baby Girl First Halloween Costume Ideas
- Our 5 Favorite Baby Boy First Halloween Costume Ideas
- Baby’s first Halloween picture ideas
- Just Remember
Gift Ideas for Baby’s First Halloween
Who knew Halloween gifts were a thing? Not me until about my third kid. The good news is, babies are simple. We don’t think sweet little Abby is going to expect a real Harry Potter wand at only 6 months old.
So what are appropriate gifts for baby’s first Halloween? Thissqueakers would be perfect for your little noisemaker in the making.
Not your baby’s thing? You can never go wrong with a
Baby’s first Halloween treats
Food is one of the most important aspects of any holiday. Why should Halloween be any different? What if you don’t want your baby getting a candy-filled sugar rush on their first Halloween? Don’t worry. You’re not alone. There are plenty of alternatives to give your child a festive Halloween feast.
Some candy-free treats include:
- Peeled and cut up Grape Eyeballs
- Spider Deviled Eggs
- Spaghetti Noodle Guts
- Jello Brains
- Meatball Mummies
- Creepy Crawly Ants on a Log
- Ghost and Pumpkin Pretzels
A quick online search will reveal much more!
What to do for baby’s first Halloween?
Baby’s first Halloween activities don’t have to involve trick-or-treating. Many communities offer family-friendly Halloween events for parents who don’t feel up to roaming the streets with their kids.
What if community events and crowds aren’t your cups of tea? You can always host a small Halloween gathering with friends and family with games such as bobbing for apples, pumpkin memory, and ghost bowling. You can also mix the company altogether and plan a family fun night in with Halloween-themed movies and snacks.
Baby’s first Halloween basket
So you want to go out trick-or-treating, but don’t want little Sally to have to use a grocery sack to collect her candy? Good news! There are Halloween baskets available for every budget. Local retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target carry a variety of baskets for kids, as does Pottery Barn.
Want to get a little more creative? Come up with a basket based on your child’s costume.
- A little pirate can carry around
- The Tooth Fairy can carry around a pillowcase.
- A witch can have a cauldron.
- An 80’s kid can have
- Dorothy can carry
Baby’s First Halloween Costume
Halloween costumes for babies have come so far over the years. It’s not all pumpkins and bunnies anymore! Over the last decade, one thing is certain–the only limit to Halloween costumes nowadays is the imagination.
Our 5 Favorite Baby Girl First Halloween Costume Ideas
- Cotton ball wigs turn babies into old women
- Crochet tailed mermaids
- A Cabbage Patch Doll
- Rosie the Riveter
- Mommy and me Cruella De Vil and her puppy
Don’t want to go all out this Halloween, but still want to be festive? This Witch Please baby girl first Halloween onesie is perfect!
Our 5 Favorite Baby Boy First Halloween Costume Ideas
- A lion in his cage
- A Mandrake from Harry Potter
- Gumball machine
- This hunter and his catch
- A baby burrito
And just as with your baby girl, Etsy also has you covered if you are searching for a baby boy first Halloween onesie. Nightmare Before Christmas, anyone? Yes, please!
Baby’s first Halloween picture ideas
You’ve got the costume, you found the bag, and now it’s time to make sure you remember this moment forever. Why go for a boring snapshot of your baby sitting on the couch? Instead, you can take it a step further and make your picture match your baby’s first Halloween costume. For example, you can find a rock wall to place Humpty Dumpty on. If you’re tropical you can place your little mermaid on the beach.
The best thing about pictures like this is you can make them work no matter what mood your baby is in: Is your little lobster upset? Get a snapshot of you trying to place him in a pot!
Is your little candy corn asleep? Place him in a bowl of candy to help him blend in.
You can even take photos with sleeping babies a step further and create a whole scene based on their costumes. Check out what a creative mom did with her little witch in the picture below.
Have you decided to not have a costume for baby’s first Halloween? You can still get a baby’s first Halloween picture by placing them in a pumpkin you’ve carved out. Just make sure to keep the baby wipes handy.
Plus, here are some more ideas for a stress-free Halloween for your baby:
- Go early. Does your baby normally go to bed at 7:30 every night? You don’t have to break your routine to have fun. Just plan things around your baby’s schedule. It will make life easier for both of you.
- Get creative! Halloween does not have to be a budget-buster. Between your local craft and thrift stores and a little elbow grease, you can make just about anything happen.
- Don’t stress. When it comes down to it, your baby probably isn’t going to remember their first Halloween. Anything you do is more for you than anyone else. Have fun, relax, and enjoy it.
Baby’s first Halloween is a special, magical time. You can make it as simple or extravagant as you want. But, as with much of parenting, a calm, and happy mama makes for a calm and happy baby.
Give yourself a break and just have fun!
Featured image source: www.photos.ellen.warnerbros.com
Latest posts by Meagan (see all)
- Baby’s First Halloween: Stress Free Tips and Tricks - October 9, 2019