We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
What is the best way to hold my newborn? How do I pick my baby up safely?
Below are some great “New Parent” tips for you!
Proper Baby Handling
Picking your baby up
To encourage head control, pick your baby up through this side lying technique
- Turn your baby onto their side and lean them forward into your hand, supporting their chest and back with each hand as you lift. This encourages development of your baby’s head control. Try to vary picking them up through their left and right sides.
- Put your baby down onto their side in the same way, and then roll them onto their back.
Carrying your baby
Apart from cradling your baby in your arms, you might like to try some other ways of carrying your baby
- Lying on their tummy, over your arm, with baby’s head close to your elbow and facing outwards; this position may help to settle your baby.
- Hold your baby high over your shoulder with their arms over your shoulder. This position can be good for burping.
- If using a baby sling, choose one that provides good shoulder support. If the weight of the sling is supported onto your hips, adjust the sling so that it is supported around your waist; this will help you to maintain good posture.
Handling your new baby may feel a bit awkward at first, but watch this video, practice and you will be a pro in no time!
- Head Turning Guidelines (On back- midline, left, right)
- Support while allowing baby’s neck muscles to develop
- Take care of your back too
- Tummy Time
- Breastfeeding positions
- And, More!
Wishing you a wonderful and precious time with your newborn!