We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Vaping. The act of drawing from an e-cigarette.
E-cigarettes come in numerous shapes and sizes, even including cigar style ones, pipes and pens, and more. They can be called e-cigarettes, cigalikes, vape pens, etc. Whatever size or whatever they are called, they are a device that delivers a dose of nicotine in an aerosol form, as opposed to the tobacco smoke from a cigarette.
In a nutshell, we don’t know enough about e-cigarettes and the chemicals it uses and emits, so with that knowledge (or lack thereof), it is safest to not use one around a baby. The main problem so far, is that they are not regulated. That is, they’re not officially proven as safe.
In saying that, we do know that the vapour given off by these e-cigarettes is more than likely to be far less harmful to your baby than traditional cigarettes and the smoke they emit. Standard cigarettes contain not only nicotine, but up to 4,000 other toxins. So if your aim is to quit tobacco altogether, an e-cigarette would be the lesser of two evils, than if you were smoking normal cigarettes. But use the e-cigarette outdoors, and wash your hands and clean your teeth before making contact with your baby.
- Potential of nicotine traces on your breath as you exhale, which affect the blood vessels. These could be breathed in by a baby.
- You will also breathe out Propylene glycol, which can cause throat irritation when passively breathed in by an adult. No studies have shown the effects of the same on a small baby.
- Some e-cigarette liquid and vapors have toxins, which can be carcinogenic.
- Some no nicotine e-cigarettes have been found to actually still contain nicotine.
- If the liquid is swallowed by a child or baby, they could become seriously ill or worse.
It’s understandable if you find e-cigarettes a more satisfying way to cut down or quit smoking your usual cigarettes. They’re made to look and feel like a cigarette. But it’s best for you to discuss your options with your doctor or health visitor. She’ll support your efforts, and may recommend nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) instead of e-cigarettes. // babycentre.co.uk
The better option is to try nicotine gums and patches, which do not involve any inhaling and exhaling. Also, there is far tighter quality control on these.